Store-bought vegan mayo is handy but relatively expensive. It is actually very easy to make your own vegan mayo! I tried this recipe the other day and was pleased with the results.
What you need (approx. 1 jar):
100 ml soy milk
250 ml sunflower oil
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp salt
1/2 - 1 tsp agave sirup (to taste)
Add all the ingredients to a tall mixing jar. Use a immersion blender to mix all the ingredients. Make sure that all ingredients are well incorporated, but don´t overmix. Transfer the mayo into a sealable container and store in the fridge for approx. 1 week.
Tips & tricks:
- An empty peanut butter jar works perfectly to store the mayo!
- Since this mayo keeps for approx. 1 week in the fridge, consider halving the quantities for about 1/2 a jar of mayo.
- It´s better not to substite the soy milk with other non-dairy milks such as oatmilk or rice milk: the lower fat content will not create the desired consistency.
- To prevent having to throw away the rest of a carton of soy milk, consider buying small juicebox-size cartons.
- Don´t have agave syrup on hand? You could also use regular sugar.
- Use the mayo as a base for other sauces such as cocktail sauce (omit the agave syrup, add ketchup), aioli (add garlic), remoulade/tartar sauce (add chopped capers, finely chopped cornichons and mixed herbs), etc.
- One of my favourite indulgences: fries with peanut sauce and mayo!
Recipe by EVA. Watch a how-to video (in Dutch) here.