Pesto pinwheels are the signature dish that a friend of mine always brings to get-togethers. They're very tasty!
What you need:
- 1 box of white bread mix
- green pesto (made fresh of store-bought)
- grated vegan cheese
- pine nuts, chopped walnuts or chopped cashew nuts (optional)
Pre-heat the oven at 200C.
Prepare the bread dough according to the instructions on the box. Leave it to rise for approx. 10 mins.
Roll out the dough thinly but make sure it is at least 30cm wide. Spread the pesto onto the dough using the round side of a spoon. Liberally sprinkle with grated cheese (and pine nuts / chopped nuts if using).
Loosely roll up the dough and cut the roll into 3cm wide slices. Put the slices on a baking tray, making sure they're not too close together as the dough will expand. Bake the slices for max. 20 mins in the heated oven (they are supposed to stay a bit pale!).
The pinwheels are best served when they are still a bit warm.
Or try this:
- don't want to bother with making fresh bread dough? Use (vegan) canned crescent roll dough! Divide the rolled-out dough in half for 2 rolls, and you can also choose to make the slices a bit smaller (1-2 cm wide). Bake according to the instructions on the package.
- use red pesto or tapenade instead of green pesto.
- you can easily prepare the rolls in advance and slice and bake when needed.