Friday

Zaalouk (Moroccan eggplant salad)


I never really liked aubergine/eggplant, until I tasted this dip at a restaurant. I googled a recipe, adapted it to my taste and voila: I'm an eggplant convert.

What you need (several servings):
1 eggplant, cut in cubes
3 tsp garlic paste or 3 cloves of garlic, pressed
2 cans of tomatoes, drained
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp cumin powder
pinch of sugar
olive oil
chili powder
parsley (dried is fine)
salt

Boil the eggplant cubes in plenty of salted water for approx. 30 min. so they are nice and soft. Drain and mash with a fork.
Meanwhile, sauté the garlic in some olive oil and add the tomatoes. Simmer for about 15 min. without a lid until most of the moisture has evaporated and the tomatoes have broken down. Add vinegar, cumin, chili powder, parsley and eggplant, mix and season to taste with some salt and sugar.
Serve hot or cold with some pita bread for dipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment